Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Life Lessons from Math Class

In my 10th grade Math class, while Mrs. McCullough was trying to explain equations and inequalities I spent a lot of time looking at the bulletin board that was next to my desk. There was a quote on it by Chuck Swindoll on attitude. For some reason, I nearly memorized it (at the time, this probably had more to do with avoiding equations than it did my love for the quote).

This week I've been thinking about that quote.

To be honest, I've just had a bad attitude. I'm ashamed to confess that this 1/2 marathon training is...well...it's killin' me. A busy schedule. Books and papers. A hub to cook dinner for at night. A tiny apartment that somehow gets dusty in an hour. A tired body that's revolting against my training. And my attitude hasn't been that great. I've forgotten to give thanks.

In response, I've been thinking about ole Chuck's words and my attitude. It's not that I'm a proponent of positive thinking as a means to changing your life...Christ changes lives, not the power of thought. But complaints and grumblings aren't exactly descriptive of Jesus. Servanthood and gratitude are. That's the attitude I want. And so when life seems to be piling up, I have a choice to make.

The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.

Chuck Swindoll


Thanks for the reminder, Chuck. Who'd have known so much from 10th grade math class would stick with me?

1 comment:

amanda said...

I remember that too! Oh buddy! hang in there. i know it's hectic!