Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Mr. Fix-It



I use our microwave a lot. Baked potatoes, green beans, sticky buns...you name it, I put it in the microwave. To my great dismay, our microwave sputtered out on Saturday. Oh the sadness. It's a wonderful microwave. My sister gave it to us for Christmas the first year we were married. I lamented. David tried to take it apart. The screws were tamper proof. He went to Home Depot and bought tools to remove the tamper proof casing. I left to take Keyara to the Slugger Museum. I returned and the microwave was back in place...with the cover loosely attached. It was still broken but David assured me he'd located the problem.



Yesterday, David enlisted the help of a friend to help him replace the little connector (I have no idea the right term here) that appeared to be burnt out. Replace it, they did. And would you believe it? The microwave was resurrected!!! Unbelievable! I was terribly proud of hubs. They fixed that microwave for $4.50. He warned me though that they couldn't find the exact connector, so it might not work for long. Nonetheless, I cooked my baked potatoes and green beans last night with gusto.

All was well....

....until this morning.

Apparently, last night's dinner was too much for the mismatched connector. Now David's talking about ordering the right connector from the microwave company.

I have to admit. Despite the fact that the microwave still does not work, I'm completely impressed. I didn't know you could fix a microwave. I don't think David knew either. This seems to have inspired him to new heights. Last night I walked into the bedroom to find him on the floor tearing apart the iron that quit last month. This may have started something....

5 comments:

Stacey Hays said...

I'm impressed! I'm also glad to know that the microwave can be fixed. We have that exact one, and I would be lost without it as well.

Beth said...

Go David! That's impressive. :)

B Nettles said...

I am so proud. David is taking his role as a man seriously and is refusing to join the disposable generation. Wimp first reaction: "We can just go buy another one." Manly first reaction:"I'm going to try to fix that." Yeah!

nancy robertson said...

Oh my, it sounds like your daddy. We have several appliances that I hate to toss since your dad is Mr. Fixit. Good luck David!

Candace said...

I married a Mr. Fix -it as well! Most of the time this is great however there are other times I just wish we'd spend money and let someone else fix it or just buy a new one. All the fixing takes away my time w/ him.