Friday, October 23, 2009

President Adams



Last Christmas my mom, who's always had a knack for picking out great gifts, gave David a series on the life of John Adams. I yawned. David was exceedingly excited. But, as our life goes, there have not many nights when we've settled in before the television during this seminary season. This week while he was sick, though, David took advantage of the need to lie motionless on the couch by popping in his John Adams series. Consequently, he's talked of little else. I rolled my eyes...thinking of some dry historian reading pages from a book....until I sat down for a few minutes to watch one with him. I was instantly hooked and can hardly wait to watch more of the series! These videos, based on the book by John McCullough,are an intriguing blend of American history, biographical information about our nation's 2nd president and compelling patriotism. In this retelling, history becomes the living story it was meant to be.

I always consider the settlement of America with reverence and wonder, as the opening of a grand scene and design in providence, for the illumination of the ignorant and the emancipation of the slavish part of mankind all over the earth. ~ John Adams

4 comments:

Stacey Hays said...

We watched these on Netflix a while back. I didn't think I would like them...but they really were great. The first few were much better than the later ones.

Anonymous said...

You and David obviously lead a much more exciting life that your poor ancient mom. I am so tired after work that a nice movie would be just the thing. I'm glad you enjoyed JA but am sorry you both had to be sick to watch it. What hubby in the world would be so thoughtful to wear a face mask and Lysol doorknobs???!

Nancy Robertson said...

Oh dear, that was not supposed to be by "anonymous"! Computers!!!!AGH. That was from your Memphis Mama.

Anonymous said...

How ironic... my husband and I just finished watching the John Adams series this past weekend too.
(We had spread it out over several weeks due to limited time to watch TV/movies) My husband is a big lover of History (as am I - but to a lesser degree) but I had my doubts about how much I would like it, fearing it could be too "heavy" on the actual battle scenes,etc. However (like you) I found myself quickly drawn into the "story". It really brought to life what before had just been dry historical facts on the page. I don't think I will ever think about that period in history in quite the same way. I did though find some scenes incredibly hard to watch.
We too were captivated by John Adams and would highly recommend it!