Friday, October 30, 2009

The Wonder of the Dawkins Family

mir⋅a⋅cle  /ˈmɪrəkəl/ noun

1. an effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.
2. such an effect or event manifesting or considered as a work of God.
3. a wonder; marvel.
4. a wonderful or surpassing example of some quality


God spoke and creation burst forth. He sent swarms of frogs, ate the earth with locust and brought all of Egypt into utter darkness to display His power to Pharaoh and free His people Israel. He fed His people with manna from heaven in their wandering in the wilderness. He brought down a taunting giant with David's slingshot. He entered the world as a baby born of a virgin. Jesus healed the lame. Gave sight to the blind. Brought the dead back to life. After a relentless trial and crucifixion, the Christ - dead and buried - defeated death and rent open the grave. These are just a few recorded in His Word. John said that if all the things Jesus did had been written, the world itself could not contain the books. His followers were known to cast out demons and heal the sick in Jesus' name. Miracles of all sorts continue. In my short life, I've seen more than you might suspect, heard about plenty more from the saints scattered around the world, and believe very much in the possibility of the miraculous.


On a level that definitely differs from the creation of the mountains and stars, but is no less apt to produce wonder, there are quite a few entirely explainable occurances that nonetheless seem to shout the wonder of God's creative and even miraculous work. Life as we live it is full of them.

This fall, the Dawkins house is experiencing what I consider to be nothing short of a miracle though it is admittedly of the more common sort: the gift a new little life.

Monday we went to the doctor and heard a tiny heart beating inside of me. Little hands, feet, fingers and toes are growing and moving at this very moment. God is knitting together a little Dawkins baby.

That's right...for those of you who need it in prose: Baby Dawkins is due May 16!!!

Miraculous life. What a gift from God. We are more than a little excited.

18 comments:

Stacey Hays said...

Yay! Congratulations!!! It truly is a miracle.

Candace said...

Congratulations guys!!!!

Laurin said...

Sweet post! Sweet Baby Dawkins!

Mary Beth said...

Congratulations!! That is awesome!!

The O'Donnells said...

no WAY!!!!!a little laura/david...the world doesn't get much better than that!

Jennifer said...

Yippee!! How extraordinary! I am so excited for both of you - I smiled for for quite some time after reading of your wonderful news!

Brandi said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! How EXCITING!! Oh I have been waiting for the day that Laura Dawkins would have a little one. :) I am super thrilled!! I need to come and visit you soon. Miss you so much! Congratulations on your little miracle!(I have to admit, reading your post gave me "feel-good chills!)

Beth said...

I've been waiting for this announcement. HOORAY! :)

Claire said...

Ahhhhhh!!!! So exciting, Laura. Congrats!

Lee said...

O I cannot wait to meet this little miracle. What a blessing!

Spencer and Kari said...

YES! I knew it from the minute I read the title of your post! Spencer says you will be a good mommy and daddy :) Can't wait to meet baby Dawkins. It'll be here before you know it. Hope you are feeling well.

Laura Young said...

congratulations to both of you! Your lives will never be the same! may God bless many through your little one!

Kimberly Kitchens said...

YEA!!! Congratulations!!! I am so happy for the both of you. I will be praying for you and the little miracle growing in your belly! Now you will be counting the days till summer!! I so can't wait to meet baby Dawkins! I can't believe that when we started meeting with Mrs. Lawless, I was the only one with kids and now look at our group grow:)

In Definition said...

thanks, gals!!! such sweet comments:)

Lori said...

So wonderful!!! Enjoy every moment!

Logan Brasher said...

yay! little dawkins is on the way. wait...that means that laura and david need a bigger home...and don't forget a room for the brasher bunch :)laura, you're too little to have a baby.baby dawkins will be bigger than you are come may.

Natalie B said...

Hey Laura heard the news. Your to little to have a baby. wait.....................that means the Brashers don't have a place to stay.Mom said the baby can sleep with me HaHa.Hey if it's 4 days late you won't forget my Birthday May. 20,!!! Love, Natalie :)

Manda said...

Wonderful, wonderful news! I'm so happy for you. But mostly I'm happy for the baby -- What wonderful parents he/she has!