Thursday, November 19, 2009

Eager

I admit that sometimes I am a little overly eager to volunteer when exciting opportunities come up. The problem with this eagerness is, it is not always accompanied by the skill required to perform the task for which I so eagerly signed my name. At such times, I'm a bit like the kindergartner who wildly waves her hand in excited willingness before the teacher explains what the volunteer is needed to do.

Our church is hosting a Thanksgiving Dinner on Sunday afternoon for the fairly poor community in which we worship. What an exciting opportunity to show thankful hearts to God by serving and blessing others! When volunteers were requested in our Care Group, I eagerly signed my name and decided that it would be a great idea to bring a turkey. A thanksgiving turkey. I could have chosen mashed potatoes or green bean casserole or any number of things that I actually know how to make and left the turkeys to the chefs. But I didn't.

I've never made a turkey. I've never even watched anyone make a turkey. At 29, my aunts still man the kitchen at Thanksgiving. I usually end up in their way, and wind up on the couch watching some random movie with my cousins. I just bake a cake and bring some chips and dip as an appetizer.

Skilled or not, I will be battling a turkey this weekend with no mom, mamaw or aunt to assist me. As I write, the bird is thawing in our fridge.


I'll let you know how it goes. I've no doubt it will be a blog-worthy experience.

2 comments:

Brandi said...

I am so proud of you! Trust me, a turkey is not that hard to make. I can help you if you need it! Check your email... ;)

Paul said...

I know your husband is very busy studying his heart out just before his seminary finals, but tell him this may be the perfect oppurtunity for him to dust off his twitter account. He should give us the play-by-play of your first "turkey" experience from his perspective. I think it could be very...enlightening!