Monday, November 23, 2009

The fate of our turkey.



I know you've been anticipating this post on the fate of the turkey in our fridge. Paul even suggested that we tweet about the progress. Yeah, right. I don't think David's used twitter since the day he set up an account. I have never even been to the site. Paul, next time just come on up for a visit and tweet for us.

We had an exciting morning on Sunday. David stuffed that turkey and I passed the spices off to him to rub the bird down. I spent the morning running to the bathroom because all the raw meat at 9am was too much for my preggo senses. In the end though, with a little manipulation of the faithful crockpot (a larger one than usual borrowed from Kim) to ensure that the lid was sealed....



....the turkey was a grand success.



It was seriously delicious. Special thanks to Kim for hunting down recipes to accomodate my obsession with using the crock pot for all things possible.


I was very domestic this weekend. Admittedly, I'm not much of a chef. The thought of spending hours in the kitchen on a Saturday is not my idea of a good time. The concept of homemade yeast rolls has hitherto always been stopped by the reality that for 25cents a roll, I can stop by O'Charley's on my way home from craft browsing at Hobby Lobby and pick up a dozen hot rolls with honey butter. If I average in my time and ingredients for homemade rolls, O'Charley's puts me out on top. This weekend though, I figured as long as I was going to try my hand at turkey cooking, I might as well make my own rolls as well. After a panicked phone call to my sister-in-law and Brandi, I discovered that I'd forgotten a cup of flour. I remedied this though and the end result....



Now tell me those don't look beautiful...albeit unbaked.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Hooray! I knew you could do it. I'm so proud. :)

Brandi said...

Yay! I was thinking about you this weekend! Those rolls look beautiful..and that turkey looks amazing!! Look at you, Little Miss Laura Crocker. :)

Rachel said...

Congrats! I learned from this post that your expecting. :) Now I know that wasn't the point of your post...so congrats on the Turkey too. ;)

Spencer and Kari said...

The turkey looks like it was a great success. I'm a big fan of using my crockpot too. It's about the only cooking I get to these days and it's so much cheaper than using an oven. I don't know if you've ever looked at this blog,but she has a lot of good crockpot recipes. I'm always trying out new ones. http://www.crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Lee said...

Kudos on that turkey, Laura. Delectable!