Friday, November 20, 2009

Lights around Louisville

As the holiday season quickly approaches, I've been taking note of a few events I'd like to go ahead and put on our calendar which always seems to fill up rapidly at this time of year. For those in the area, I wanted to pass along a couple of events that were news to me!



Southern Living listed Louisville as one of the top five cities for a Southern Christmas! A few events caught my eye:

Light up Lake Forest: 1200 homeowners light up houses and lawns beginning the first week in December about 25 minutes from the city. www.lakeforestky.com

Sleigh Rides in a horse drawn carriage with Santa @ The Summit from 12-5pm December 5-6, 12-13, and 18-20.


Somehow, I got on the mailing list for Kentucky Magazine. I almost threw it away but perused the pages for a few minutes and found it actually had some great articles! They listed some of their favorite events for the season around the state. A few more that caught my eye:

Christmas in the Park in Elizabethtown, KY from November 26-Jan 1. More than 100 holiday light displays (over 1 million lights) on Freeman Lake. www.touretown.com

Winter Wonderland in Owensboro, KY from November 27-Jan 1. This really sounds like the best one around...though it's 2 hours from Louisville! They have tons of holiday happenings including the tri-state's largest outdoor skating rink. Free ice skating on Mondays! www.riverparkcenter.org

Southern Lights 2009 in Lexington, KY from November 20- December 31. A dazzling array of lights through the Kentucky Horse Park complete with a petting zoo, pony and camel rides and craft vendors. www.southernlightsky.org



Grateful for a season to particularly ponder the coming of Jesus, the light of the world.

4 comments:

Laurin said...

Also...Browns Park lights up on Sunday night, November 29th from 4-6 p.m. Lights come on at dusk, I think = ).
I wonder how much it is to ride in the sleigh with Santa?

In Definition said...

it's free!

Spencer and Kari said...

You guys should come visit us and we can take you to Owensboro...we only live about 30 minutes away. I didn't know they had all that...we may have to try it out!

sweeticedtea said...

Hi, Dawkins!

I was going through last years Christmas cards and came across your blog in the letter from Ms. Linda. Love hearing how y'all are doing. It's fun to catch up with folks.

I hope you won't mind if I pass along some of these suggestions to my friends and family. My parents moved back to Lexington about 4 years ago now, so I might post this on my blog too (sweeticedtea.net).