Thursday, January 28, 2010

And underneath...

(Photo from ElisabethElliot.org)

Influence is a mysterious power to consider. It can often cut through areas that the seemingly more powerful realms of authority could never break. Though I’ve never met her, Elisabeth Elliot has influenced me profoundly for almost 15 years now. My desire for and pursuit of personal holiness have so often been spurred on by her that she seems at times a friend more than a writer.

For the past few months, whenever I find my fingers picking the strings of that neglected guitar in our living room, the same song inevitably makes its way to my lips and fingers.

What a fellowship, what a joy divine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
What a blessedness, what a peace is mine,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

Leaning, leaning, safe and secure from all alarms;
Leaning, leaning, leaning on the everlasting arms.

O how sweet to walk in this pilgrim way,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
O how bright the path grows from day to day,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.

What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms.


It is the simple and profound reality of the sovereignty of God which builds in the believer a quiet confidence. The woman who has most often repeated that truth to me is Elisabeth Elliot. The words which she included in each broadcast are a point of much needed meditation for me in these days. I am thankful.

You are loved with an everlasting love.
And underneath are the everlasting arms.

1 comment:

Laurin said...

I'm re-reading through The Shaping of a Christian Family. It is divine, inspiring and Truth honoring! I'm so thankful for Elisabeth!!!! If I ever actually met her though, I'm sure I would be so nervous, I could not put words together to make a sentence.