Friday, January 29, 2010

Confession of the Week

I like Tang.

I drink Tang.

It's an old habit that hasn't appeared for a while. It seems to have returned of late though.

Let me explain to you why I feel the need to confess this. Some of my readers are Memphians. You may be unaware of a Louisville phenomenon. People here are hard core about whole foods. Off the top of my head I could give you a reasonably long list of women I know (and/or suspect) grind their own wheat to make bread. You might think I’m kidding. I’m not. I admire their efforts. Unless I'm living in a hut, I'll probably never grind my own wheat though.

I sit in my office and 95% of the time, I am drinking water out of the cup on my desk. But occasionally of late, I just need a little help in the afternoon. So… I pour a hearty amount of Tang into my clear cup. I fill it with water. When I finish, a syrup remains at the bottom. I take it strong.

And as I enjoy that cup of sugary Tang…I think to myself, “What will I do with my cup if a wheat grinder enters the room?”

I guess I would just look them straight in the eye and say, “Have you read that research about the benefits of artificial color?”

At least I’ve made progress in the area of pudding cups.

9 comments:

Linz said...

Haha you always did lllllove tang when we were little! In Memphis it's the opposite. People ask if there's vodka in my nalgene because they just can't understand why anyone would drink so much plain ole water. Seriously they do.

Catherine and David said...

I laughed when I read your post because I am one of those "wheat grinders." I'm actually a third generation wheat grinder and not someone who has recently given into the whole foods fad. Since you are pregnant, I'll cut you some slack with your Tang. David and I are so excited for you all!

Beth said...

Lol. I don't drink Tang, but I drink Diet Coke, and I'm going to die an early death of aspartame poisoning. It could be worse!

Lee said...

How about some Vitamin water. Doesn't that sound good? =)

Brandi said...

You know, they used to make Tang pouches (like the Capri Sun pouches) and I LOVED them! I cannot find them AnYwhere anymore and that makes me sad. Maybe I'll have to try the powder....

Robin Stevens said...

While you're at it, remind them that corn syrup has the same amount of calories as sugar, is made from corn so it's natural, and also like sugar, it's fine in moderation ;)

Lee said...

not QUITE the whole story, but it is true that refined white sugar is not much better for you. sugar is best consumed in moderation -- all sugar. but i think there was an ad with almost that exact idea that robin stated. the woman in the ad says to another woman: "it's made from corn and like sugar, it's fine in moderation." it is true though that HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) is processed differently than plain old white sugar. the risk factors from HFCS are debated a lot.

All I'm saying is that you can be a proponent of consuming HFCS in moderation, but it can be tough to follow this principle since HFCS is added to soooo many foods that Americans eat and that are staples to the American diet. Sodas, crackers, juices, chips, cereals, condiments, tortillas, blah blah. If those are the main staples in your diet, your HFCS intake is (arguably) not all that moderate. So I think the debate should really be more about eating real food versus processed rather than about consuming HFCS versus plain old white sugar.
And that's all I have to say about that. . .

In Definition said...

thanks for the thoughts robin and lee. believe me...i'm under no false impression. i know i shouldn't become a tang addict and really should stick to water:) lee...i admit, i'd never noticed that wheat crackers contain hfcs. i just looked on the box...and you are indeed correct. any suggestions for a convenient alternative to eat with cheese?

Kathy said...

Larua Dawkins, I knew I liked you :) Tang rules!! And just what is the point of grinding your own wheat when they have nice pretty bread waiting for us in the store?

Found you from Heathers blog. This is what happens when you come out of hiding, crazies find you and comment on your blog ;)

Kathy Dow
www.homeschoolblogger.com/myquiversfull