Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sometimes I just have to say it again....

I love that hub of mine.


After updating on my own status at 21 Weeks...I realized that a husband-update was needed as well. Despite the potential for the pregnant wife/empathy disorder I mentioned a few weeks ago, David's maintaining his figure and holding down the little Dawkins fort on many levels.

We are walking through a season in our marriage that I would not have anticipated when we first started Seminary. I knew that classes would add pressure to David's life, I understood that grad works means a lot of hours reading and studying, and I recognized that there would be sacrifices associated with the time required to complete the tasks at hand... but it's only been of late that I've really seen the full measure of those pressures piled on my husband. In order to speed things up, this winter he opted to take 6 hours of intensive courses....right through the holidays. After finishing a fall semester which included Hebrew and with the promise of a full load for the spring, school seems at times to be quite consuming these days.

I don't know that my respect and admiration for my husband has ever been so strong. He is truly the most diligent and disciplined man I know. The balance he manages amazes me...diligence in his duties, consistent care for his slightly needy wife, faithfulness to His God, and...somehow he still manages to run like the beast he is(even in 20 degree weather). I feel like I'm watching him climb a mountain - a tough mountain - and press through a multitude of pressures under which I would crumble. Instead, he consistently leads me back to our Father as a refuge in prayer and in practice. After all, it is for His glory we're pressing forward in the first place. I could never have predicted a pressure as common and ordinary as grad school would bring such rich treasures both in our marriage and in our relationship with our Father.

Marriage is a good gift, a useful tool in conforming us to the likeness of Jesus, a beautiful reminder to me of the gospel, and even in seasons that are full of busyness...marriage to David is just plain fun.

4 comments:

Lee said...

I cracked up when I saw that photo. But was almost in tears by the end of your post. What a lovely commentary. Marriage is a blessing! And strong husbands are a marvel.

Beth said...

This is a great post, only made better by the photo. :)

amanda and bear said...

love it!

Lori said...

Ah-stinkin-dorable!!! Seminary is a hard time and oh yeah parenting is tough too, but doing it with your best friend is so rewarding!!!