Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Unveiling



This morning we will head to the doctor’s office to have our first ultra sound. I admit that in my thoughts I’ve been battling back anxiety with reminders of God’s sovereign goodness….praying and hoping that all the little parts of this baby are forming correctly. I’ve also been giving thought to the unveiling of the gender of the baby (if he/she cooperates during the ultra sound!). There is a sense in which today will give us a closer glimpse into some of the possible purposes of God for this little life. I believe that there are some vital distinctives that are determined by gender and today will shape so many of my prayers.

Will I spend the next months and years praying for a mighty warrior of truth, a man who will praise God and fight for justice? A son whom I hope will grow to be a man who will lead his family, tenderly love his wife and raise up another generation to bear the strong Dawkins name.

Will I begin to pray for a little girl with a gentle and quiet spirit who will one day find joy as the beauty and support of a man or in single hearted devotion to Christ. A daughter who loves the depth of truth, delights in the role God has carved out for her in the midst of a world that would tell her success is found in other roles, and a woman who will one day open her mouth in wisdom.

I do not wish to be presumptuous in my prayers for a future I cannot see....so I offer them as petitions to a wise God, not as plans that I can control. I am grateful today that all my days were written in His book. I am grateful today that this little life has days ordained even now. I’m eager for the glimpse.


My frame was not hidden from You,
When I was made in secret,
And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;
Your eyes have seen my unformed substance;
And in Your book were all written
The days that were ordained for me,
When as yet there was not one of them.
Psalm 139:15-16

2 comments:

kd said...

I cried over this this morning - thank you for sharing. :)

Beth said...

Beautiful!