Friday, January 22, 2010

What's in a Name?

First, a word of thanks for all the great comments after our announcement! Jude already feels loved!

As I wrote earlier this month, the name selection of our little one was quite a process for David and me. Perhaps the most important aspect of the name for us was the meaning. There were a number of names that we liked that we simply laid aside because the meaning wasn’t in line with our hopes and prayers for this little one. How then did we settle on Jude Ream Dawkins?

JUDE
Though we waded through a long list of possibilities, in the end, we settled on Jude primarily because of the Hebrew meaning of the name. Jude means “praise.” We believe that indeed the chief end of man is to glorify God and enjoy him forever. We were created to bring praise to God. Our most earnest prayer for our son is that he would live his life in praise to the living God.

REAM
Not long ago, David’s mom brought us such a treasured gift when she arrived in Louisville for a visit. She’d collected a box full of old pictures that included David in his hospital crib, family Christmas pictures from years past, Field Day in elementary school and a variety of other memories. Several of the pictures were of David with his beloved Grandpa Ream. David has often spoken to me with fond affection of his memories of this man whom he respected and loved so much. David’s middle name is Ream, and we chose to continue that tradition in honor of his Grandpa Ream.

DAWKINS
“A good name is to be more desired than great wealth…” Proverbs 22:1a In this season of considering our prayers and hopes for this little life entrusted to us, what a joy it is for us to consider both the Robertson and Dawkins heritage we’ve been entrusted. We are grateful for those who’ve walked before us in our family line. Our heritage is indeed beautiful to us.

I do not like the man who squanders life for fame; give me the man who living makes a name. Emily Dickinson

1 comment:

Beth said...

What a great post! I love the middle name that honors his grandfather, and I love the Dickenson quote at the end. And I am sure I will LOVE Jude Ream! In fact, I think I already do. :)