Monday, April 19, 2010

The Approach of Thirty

Last year at this time, I was gearing up to run a half marathon....



I've changed a little over the past year, huh? Maybe by next year, I'll be back in my running shoes!

This Saturday I will celebrate my 30th birthday.

I remember watching the Jetsons as a child. I was convinced that by 2000 we'd be living in the sky with a maid like Rosie. Here I am in 2010, living with my feet firmly planted on the ground, scrubbing my own bathtub and still washing my clothes in a washing machine in the basement. (Though, I have to say, my friend Beth has an awesome robotic vaccuum cleaner that I find quite Jetsonian.)



It seems that people do crazy things on their 30th birthday. I remember asking a friend of mine in Africa what prompted her decision to quit her job as a nurse and move overseas to work with the UN. She said she woke up on her 30th birthday and decided it was time for a change. A year later, she was in Africa.

Last year, Lee permed her hair in response to the big 3-0. I found this to be a brave move. (It turned out well for her...but I'm not sure it would for me.)

As for me, it seems that this year of 30 will bring enough changes on its own so I'm not feeling particularly inclined to do something out of the ordinary to celebrate.

Truth be told, I used to think 30 sounded old. It doesn't really sound old to me now.

I guess that's a sure sign that I am old.

4 comments:

Brandi said...

Happy "early" Birthday, Laura! :) My big 3-0 was last July. I do feel kind of old, but I think having Isaiah at a later rather than earlier age has made me feel kind of youthful again. And I agree - I had plenty of "life changes" going on so I didn't need to do anything out of the ordinary either. :)

You will have the best birthday present of all this year!

B Nettles said...

Actually, 30 is very young...really. And rest assured that Josh Vincent will always be older than you. He turned 30 back in Feb.

B Nettles said...

Oh, if you do start to feel old, go buy a big motorcycle. Then you'll fit right in with all the rest of the old youngsters.

Kari Plevan said...

You are NOT old. Have a great birthday!!! Enjoy it. :)