Friday, May 7, 2010

Closing Up Shop


We moved to Louisville on a Saturday. On Monday morning, I arrived at Southern for my first day of work.

Though I don't often (if ever?) write about it on the blog, my job has been a huge part of life here. And I can write with all honesty that though my official position is just a lowly secretary, I love coming to work every morning. I like arranging mission trips. I like the people I work with. I like my office and its big windows. I like the students that I serve. My job has been such a gift in this season.

This week I've been training my replacement, putting my files in order and basically wrapping things up and handing them over. Most gals I know would be jumping for joy. I admit, I've shed a few tears. This is not because I am dreading the next season of life but because God's goodness to me in the one I am closing has been so incredibly rich.

When we first came to Louisville, I asked over and over again for a grateful contentment in this season. I was eager to be back overseas...not sitting behind a desk so that we could pay our bills while David went to school. That wasn't exactly what I envisioned I'd be doing at 29. God answered that prayer so faithfully that I look back now in utter amazement. He filled me up with Himself...not adventure or ministry or the glamor of something "noteworthy". He has been enough to satisfy me.

For many years now my response to that harrowing question "What do you actually want to do with your life," has been "I want to be a wife and mother." Not famous or well respected or wealthy. I want to be a godly wife and mother. And in this season, I look forward to the same truth, the same prayer answered in the same way - Christ, who is enough, is my satisfaction. Not what I do or how I am known.

Things are changing in this life of mine.

Thankfully, some things never will.

2 comments:

Beth said...

I love this, Laura. You amaze and challenge and inspire me! So thankful for you!

The Hutton Family said...

Thank you for this Laura! Oh how I think back to my days without kids while I worked as Samuel was in school- I am so thankful for those days when it was just Samuel and I! I am also very thankful for these days with three little ones as well, even with all the challenges (I have not left my house since Wednesday!) and humility that comes with them! You have so much to look forward to with this little guy on his way!