Saturday, May 1, 2010

Derby Day

Jeff Haynes/AFP/Getty Images


The Kentucky Derby is this afternoon in Louisville.

Schools closed yesterday. Shops shut their doors. Hotels are filled. Hats abound.

Even amid the thunderstorms scheduled for this afternoon and the inch of water that's already fallen, our downstairs neighbors have the grill going, 3 mini-kegs on ice adorning our front porch, and people pouring into their apartment. It's a mystery to me.

As for me, I'm (supposed to be) writing a paper and studying for my final. I finally left home to work elsewhere because I kept turning on the television which has all day coverage of nothing but Churchill Downs.

Happy Derby Day.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I would just like to point out that my horse won the derby! You know, the horse I bet $2 on because it was called "Super Saver" and I've started couponing. Lol. I think it was a special blessing from the heavens!