Friday, June 4, 2010

Over The Rainbow



When I was a child, my mom often sang to me before I went to sleep. Her two signature songs were You Are My Sunshine and Somewhere Over The Rainbow. I remember feeling confident as a young girl that had my mother wanted to try out for the role of Dorothy, Judy Garland would never have had a chance.

At the hospital, my mother gave me a gift that is among the most thoughtful I've ever received. Despite the newborn phase and all that comes with that, I've worn it frequently for the past week and a half.

My mom is a buyer and manager for a gift shop in Memphis. Ayala Bar is an Israeli jewelry designer. Her necklaces are artwork. Exquisite artwork. My sister and I love to see little boxes come our way on birthdays that bear her emblem. I wore an Ayala Bar necklace on my wedding day.



As I opened the little package, my mom explained that she picked this particular design to represent the lullaby she sang to me as a baby - Somewhere Over The Rainbow. Jude's been hearing the tune a lot lately.

4 comments:

staceyb said...

wowzers! that's a purty necklace larsa:)

I wore my birdie just yesterday!

Beth said...

How sweet and thoughtful! Go mom. :)

Emily said...

i love ayala bar! I just bought a cross necklace of hers....yours is beautiful!!

Audrey said...

Hi there, beautiful necklace! I'd love to buy one just like it. Do you know the name of that particular piece or how I might find it? Thank you!