Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Summer Cooking

With the arrival of Jude, neighbors, family, friends and church members have simply lavished us with love, support and gOOd fOOd! I wanted to share a few of my latest cravings from these offerings.

1. Dee’s Chicken Salad

My neighbor, Dee, brought over a dish of chicken salad when we returned from the hospital. I love a good chicken salad sandwich. Of all the recipes I’ve sampled, I think this may be my favorite one yet!

3/4 c mayo
1/2 to 1 t curry powder
3 c diced cooked chicken
1/3 c diced celery
1/3 c diced onion
1/4 c chopped cashews
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 T parsley

Mix mayo, powder and juice then mix all together - can add raisins or use other nuts or add small can of pineapple tidbits - all good!

2. Grammar’s Vinegrette Salad Dressing


David’s mom often serves this dressing over a romaine lettuce salad with mandarin oranges and sugared almonds or walnuts. I made it for the first time after she left and found that with the addition of 2-3 Tablespoons of OJ, it is pretty close to the house dressing at Havana Rhumba, my favorite restaurant in Louisville. They serve their tropical salad with an orange vinaigrette, avocado, mango, papaya and caramelized walnuts. Delicious.

Vinaigrette Dressing
¼ c Olive Oil
2 T Apple Cider Vinegar
2 T Sugar
2 t Parsley Flakes
½ t Salt, Dash of Pepper


3. Passion Tea Lemonade


Ok. I made this one for myself. Laurin always has a pitcher of refreshing lemonade at her house. I’ve been craving it since the sun began to shine a little harder on Louisville. I think Rebekah first filled me in on the goodness of Passion Tea back in her Starbucks days. My favorite summer drink is a combo of real lemonade with plenty of sugar and two bags of Passion Tea boiled in 3 cups of water added into the mix.

3 comments:

Lee said...

I marvel at your blogs these days. I was in such a fog during the first few weeks, I don't think I blogged at all. Go, Laura.

vbgray said...

I agree with Lee! I am getting recipes from someone who gave birth two weeks ago....incredible.

Also, to comment on your physical changes....don't be disheartened. I remember a few weeks after both Ginna and Jamey were born, I felt so small. And in comparison to what I had been just days before, I was. But when I tried on non-maternity pants, I thought, "I'll never get back into this." But I did. Also, I am amazed you are walking a mile, too. I was sitting on ice for 2 weeks...and she was just 8 lb 4 oz! The second time around, I didn't even feel like I'd given birth a few days afterwards. I wasn't sure if was attributable to the second birth or that he was 7 lb 6 oz....

You look great! And Jude is beautiful!

In Definition said...

thanks for the encouragement, girls!