Monday, July 4, 2011

Land that I love


When I was growing up, our church had a little musical each year called Celebrate America. I usually went begrudgingly with my parents. Somewhere along the way, I stopped bemoaning the abundance of sparkling red white and blue decor, and started listening to the words of our country's anthems, reveling in the heritage of our forefathers, and glimpsing the gravity of our freedom. With maturity, came a deep rooted patriotism.

It is not a blind and ignorant idealism but rather a reverent and grateful appreciation for what the men and women who founded our nation fought to accomplish in our government.

Particularly this year, as we prepare to leave our homeland for a number of years, my heart is full with a love for our nation. This is the land that I love. It is the kind of love that cares for our past, weeps over the troubles of our present, and hopes for our future. God bless America.


I always consider the settlement of America with reverence and wonder, as the opening of a grand scene and design in providence, for the illumination of the ignorant and the emancipation of the slavish part of mankind all over the earth.
John Adams

No comments: