Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Old Age & Laugh Lines


I'm 32. I'm not sure when that happened, but the laugh lines around my eyes, the two boys running wild in my house, and the local newspaper on my doorstep each morning all seem to confirm it.

Yesterday's celebration of the day felt a little different than in years past. Life as it stretches on is bringing with it a more profound awareness of the gift it is. I wake up every morning and breathe. And the prayer I whisper as I put my babies to sleep is that they would have breath into old age...as long as it would bring God glory. The growing number of my years alongside the awareness of life's frailty embodied in these little ones I care for, it's breeding gratitude for what I often take for granted. The simple and profound gift of life.

The verse I couldn't escape yesterday was those ancient words to Theophilus:

And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined allotted periods and the boundaries of their dwelling place, that they should seek God, in hope that they might feel their way toward him and find him. Acts 17:26-27 esv

These are the boundaries of my days, my determined time to live. This breath is a gift given...that I might move toward Him.

2 comments:

Linz said...

aww sis. Love it. i pray something like that to when i put J to sleep.

Shannon said...

Such profound thoughts so beautifully expressed, Laura. Your writing never fails to "stir up" within me a sincere desire to keep in closer step with the Spirit. Thank you for that!