Friday, July 27, 2012

Five on Friday

1. Silas is tough stuff.  Hardly a week goes by that he doesn't have some new mark or scratch on his little face. My neighbors are always a bit distressed over it. Ex: a nice bruise from a misplaced laundry basket.  I'll let you guess which toddler misplaced it onto his brother's forehead:) 



2. A few weeks ago, I came across an old recipe for Museli that I used to cook in Africa.  It's become quite a hit in our house.  Add a little yogurt and it's a fantastic, quick breakfast.  

Recipe: 5 c oats, 1 c shredded coconut, 1 c wheat germ, 1/2 c brown sugar, 3/4 c oil.  Bake at 325 for 30 minutes.  Stir every 10.  Allow to cool and store in air tight container. 

3. You win some, you lose some.  I bought a package of paneer and let it sit in my fridge an entire week before I was brave enough to try to do something with it.  A friend suggested I rub a seasoning on it and grill it.  I tried my chili seasoning mix.  It was a bomb.  A little more successfully, I marinated some in balsamic vinegar.  Neither will be a repeat though. I'm not giving up yet, though.  Surely paneer and I will be kitchen friends eventually!


4. This is what happens every time we put Silas in his baby recliner:


The kid practically crawls out of it. He's a big man now...ready for upright sitting.  Or so he thinks.  

5.  Soon we'll be making a quick trip to Calcutta for David to attend a meeting. I am excited. Hoping to see a glimpse of Mother Teresa's work while we are there.  

Intense love does not measure, it just gives. - Mother Teresa

No comments: