Wednesday, July 11, 2012

my bookshelf


Remember my post-baby book list from a few months ago? I'm still plodding along...slow and steady, right? 


Jayber Crow by Berry
A Soldier of the Great War by Helprin
So Big by Edna Ferber
A Fine Balance by Mistry
The Return of the Native by Hardy
Tess of D'Ubervilles by Hardy
Remembering by Berry
A Farewell to Arms by Hemingway
Number the Stars by Lowry
The Testament by Grisham
Excellent Women by Pym
The Heaven Tree Trilogy by Pargeter

It has been quite some time since I've worked from a list when selecting books and I am finding it to be a healthy exercise.  It is broadening my reading and introducing writers and styles that I wouldn't ordinarily gravitate towards.  I haven't been completely faithful to the list though.  This is owing primarily to the inaccessibility of a public library, though I do have a Kindle, thanks to my mom!  Here are a few additions to my list: 

David's sweet mom sent me The Phantom of the Opera for Mother's Day, along with the dvd of a recent concert. I admit that half way through I thought I was going to have to put it down.  It seriously started effecting my sleep.  Definitely dark....but wonderfully written. I'm itching to see the musical again now. If only hubs will take me to London:) 

I came across Wordsmithy by Douglas Wilson and was immediately intrigued.  Amazingly enough David procured a copy of it for my birthday.  It was fantastic. One of these days I'll write an entire post on some of my take-aways. 

My mom lugged Expressive Photography by the Shutter Sisters over to me and I have seriously enjoyed perusing it.  I need to open it up again though. 

This week I spotted a book lending center within driving distance.  It's on our stop-by list now that we have wheels:) 

I'll keep you posted! 

2 comments:

Claire said...

David has quite an extensive library and I have read so many book since October! I remember reading Number the Stars when I was in elementary school and LOVED it. Just recently re-read The Giver (also Lowery)...good!

Glen and Bethany said...

I've been curious about Wordsmithy. Glad to hear you liked it!