Monday, July 9, 2012

slow & steady


When I was in college I spent a summer as a camp counselor.  A few weeks were dedicated to "junior" campers.  This meant a lot more work, a lot more homesick tears, a much messier cabin and, usually, quite a few more laughs.  We had one speaker that summer who was a fantastic storyteller.  I loved his sessions more than any of the more philosophical or splashy ones.

One of his stories was an adaptation of Aesop's fable of the tortoise & the hare.  "Slow and steady, never give up, never give up," he would chant, as he wove the tale.  And in all the years since, in various seasons, I've heard that phrase in my mind.

I am finding it an appropriate encouragement for life in general. And in the midst of these little years, it's a good word for me.

This morning it took me over an hour to complete a 20 minute Jillian work out.  I am currently reading through the one year Bible on a two year plus plan.  All of my projects are done in snippets. This language that we're learning will require years from me...just for competency. Most of my books are read in 10 minute intervals while I feed the baby.  And there's just a lot of general plod involved in getting things done.  I think most of you know what I mean.

It helps me to think about pace.  I am marathoning through this season.  Sprints were for the younger years.   The days before me now require slow and steady determination. This has never been my strong point.  I like immediacy of satisfaction. I often choose projects that set me up for quick results.  I struggle with follow through in almost every area. But as I press through in slowness and steadiness day after day with these little people, God is building in me more than what was.  I am glad.

Slow and steady, never give up, never give up.

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time 
we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. 
Galatians 6:9 NIV

3 comments:

Annie said...

Thanks for this word. Sometimes I think God is trying to teach me this very thing.

Stacey Hays said...

Love this post. I needed this reminder.

Laurin said...

Oh, Laura. I'm just impressed you're doing Jillian, reading books, and taking on projects = ). Very encouraging post.