Tuesday, October 16, 2012

the daisy fair


I'm doing a little science fair project at home this week.

I've been having a problem with the stems rotting on my flowers.  This is, most likely, yet another reason why we have a large water cooler in our kitchen.  Tap water can be shady...even for sipping gerberas.

A few weeks ago, I haphazardly stuck a flower in an old lemon juice bottle. The flower lasted an unbelievably long time.  The stem was in tact.  Did the acidity in the leftover lemon juice kill the asia-funk in the water? Is that possible?

Just because I'm a little nerdy and a lot curious (if it will impact flower longevity), I have 3 vases this week.

1. Filtered, purified water.
2. Regular tap water.
3. Tap water with 3 drops of lemon juice.

Here's to hoping I've stumbled across longer life for my asian daisies!

2 comments:

amanda and bear said...

I've heard a little bit of Sprite works to help plants flourish. Lemon :)

M and M said...

I have to find out where you got the gerbera daisies... awesome!