Monday, July 14, 2014

Culture Shock

I finished my language evaluation. And I hope I never have to take another one again.  That's a small and highly irrational hope.  But, a girl can dream.

I spent the weekend in severe culture shock and haven't quite come out of it yet.  Though a stop yesterday at a delicious Italian restaurant in town did help.  How can bruchetta not mend a weary brain?

Apparently, I haven't fully recovered though.  This morning I woke up in the midst of a very bizarre cultural dream.

I was in America.  (And no one was speaking in a foreign language.)

I was with all my best girlfriends and we were going boating at a lake with Rebekah's dad.  Everyone got out of the car wearing all their cute lake garb.  Shorts and tank tops, cute swim suits underneath.

I opened my suit case and all I could find was my "burkini."

(You may recall that while swimming here, I wear a sort of wet suit that covers me from mid-arm to neck to ankle. I tried to break this summer when the water temp was at 90 and the air temps were at 110.  I went wild and wore board shorts to my knees and a sleeveless top.  I felt utterly exposed and completely inappropriate. The burkini was back after a day.)

So there I was in my dream, surrounded by Americans at a lake, trying to figure out how I could possibly tell my friends that I only had my full length swim suit for our girl's day out.

Just as I resigned myself to the burkini, I woke up.

Still in South Asia.


1 comment:

Glen and Bethany said...

Haha, that is funny! :) If you're like me, be prepared for some more weird dreams before you fly...