Tuesday, July 1, 2014

On My Shelf

Reading hasn't made it to the top of my priority list of late, but I have managed to squeeze in a few here and there.  Here's what's been on my (sort of sad) list lately:

1. The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People by Covey

Old news perhaps, but I am just getting started on this jewel and think it'll be a helpful boost to my internal life and the way it impacts the external. Besides, I have a serious need to be highly effective these days…just to make it:)

2. Phantastes by George MacDonald

I like the idea of reading George MacDonald.  Inevitably, the impact of his writing on me is profound.  But he always takes me some time.  This is far from my usual genre but I admit I'm slowly entering his faery world. I think it will be well worth my time.

3. O Pioneers & My Antonia by Willa Cather

A friend (with good taste) recommended these to me and since I haven't read Cather since high school, I decided to re-visit.  I read My Antonia several months ago, and wanted to keep going. I like her.  Not every day, all the time but it was a great change of pace.  I find her ability to tell a story compelling and her themes, particularly about the pull of the land, moving.

4. Chasing the Sun by Sylvester

A novel about a kidnapping in South America.  I didn't love it, but I liked it.

5. Keep a Quiet Heart by Elliot

I've read it at least five times. I love the wisdom, the clear and concise thoughts on pressing topics.  It helps me….it helps me keep a quiet heart:)

And there you have it.  My very puny reading list from the past few months.  Let's just say, I'm going to do some serious library browsing when we finally make it back to the US! 

No comments: