Wednesday, January 21, 2015

eighty-four


My grandmother turned eighty-four on Monday.  When we realized there was going to be a little family dinner in celebration, we rescheduled our plans, loaded the boys into the car and headed toward her farm.


The boys were more than ready for some cow gazing and tractor time.


Do you know one of the reasons why I love being out in the country?

Besides the sheer beauty, it's the quiet, unhindered simplicity that strikes me.

Life feels smaller there. In a very good way. There are old farmhouses where crops of babies were raised, trees were climbed, land was plowed.  It slows me down.

The celebration of her with children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren among the simplicity of that land reminded me that small lives can have massive ripples.  I love that she hardly seemed to notice that the celebration was about her…she was just glad we all came.




Her quiet life in those hills is one for which I will be forever grateful.

Happy 8-4, Mamaw!


No comments: