Monday, February 2, 2015

34 Weeks

I had an ultrasound this morning.  It seems that history is repeating itself.  Almost 5 years ago, I was having the same conversation with an ultrasound technician in Louisville.

"Wow.  This baby is big.  Wow.  These numbers just can't be right." 

"Well, there's a history of big babies in my husband's family.  And Jude was kind of a record breaker at almost 11 lbs."

"I mean.  All the measurements are correct.  Everything looks great.  But this guy is just HUGE." 

When I write huge, friends, I mean that normally a baby would be somewhere around 5 lbs right now.  Asher is measuring a bit over 8 lbs. We're in the 97th percentile. It looks like he's competing with Jude for the top spot in Dawkins history.  I do feel a little better about how difficult it is for me to just get around these days.  There's an 8 lb baby strapped to my insides.  That's gotta count for something!?

The good news is that, apart from being a really big eater, there's nothing to suggest that he's anything but a happy, healthy guy waiting to meet the world.

The doctor said he might slow down now.  Let's hope that is the case.  Maybe he just went crazy over the holidays, right? Once he hits 10 lbs, there's not much chance that I'll get out of a c-section this time around.  We'll have another ultrasound in 2 weeks to see if he's still packing on the pounds.

We did take the boys in to see Asher wiggling around on the screen this morning.  Jude even got to push the buttons to make the heartbeat blare through the room.  Poor Silas seems to have thought we had come for something a bit more exciting.  When we left the ultrasound room and he realized Asher was still inside, he lifted up my shirt and said, "take Asher out!" He's ready to be a big brother!

Here's to another round of chubby cheeks! 

No comments: