Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Go Set A Watchman

I've probably read To Kill A Mockingbird ten times.  It's possible that the actual number is closer to twenty. It is my favorite American classic of all time.  I love Harper Lee's style, her ability to tell such a profound story in such a common way, through the eyes of a child.

As a person, I find Lee fascinating.  In spite of classic success most writers don't find until well after their death, she has remained as far out of the limelight as possible.  She's kind of like the Neil Armstrong of American literature to me.  The reluctant hero of a work so great it helped shape a nation.

I could hardly believe my eyes when I read this afternoon that, this July, Lee will allow publication of a sequel she wrote almost 60 years ago.  It will be entitled Go Set A Watchman.  

Harper Collins is planning an initial run of 2 million copies.  

Put my name on the list!

No comments: