Saturday, May 23, 2015

We will feast



My mom and I drove down to the farm today.  We talked about old houses with wrap around porches.  We stopped at Bakerman's Bakery and bought fresh cookies. We hugged a few cousins and aunts.  We drove through the winding roads and talked about farms with my Dad. We sat in my grandmother's living room and worked to make Asher smile. We walked around her dazzlingly green yard buzzing in the year of locust.


My Mamaw came home from the rehabilitation center yesterday.  And I went to tell her goodbye.  To take one last picture of her with her great-grandson.

This afternoon, we booked tickets to fly out next Thursday. Seven thousand miles of flying.  It was the last blow in the finality of this next season.

There is a part of me that doesn't want to leave.  I have been so comfortable here, in this place where I make sense.  Where no one stares at me while I walk through the grocery store. Where my children blend into the mass of other wild boys running through parks and playgrounds.  It feels easier. I'm in my homeland.

But in the midst of packing these trunks for another three years in a foreign land, I've been thinking about Christ and how He left His homeland. Where He reigned and ruled in spectacular glory.  Where every comfort was His. A sacrifice so great my understanding can't even comprehend it. And He identifies with me even in this weakness.  This small sacrifice. And His promises for me are full in this obedience.


This evening, hubs was folding laundry and listening to Sandra McCracken's hopeful song We Will Feast In The House Of Zion. My ear caught the words. Words banking on a homeland we will never leave. The home that every longing I feel in these days will satiate.  My true homeland. In that place, friends, we will feast. And weep no more.

We will feast in the house of Zion  
We will sing with our hearts restored  
He has done great things, we will say together   
We will feast and weep no more

3 comments:

Sara Nagel said...

What a Blessing to see your grandma and to have this amazing adventure with your family over the past six months. Love you my friend!

Nickolee Roberts said...

oh sweet friend - i know. i get it. i also know that although it's not at the front of your mind currently, you'd also long to not fit in after a while. there would be days where you wished your kids didn't blend in quite so easily. for everything there is a season. let us feast from His table wherever He has us for this one. love you.

Chris and Kristi said...

Thanks for sharing your heart today. I needed this reminder this morning.