Wednesday, June 17, 2015

E. Elliot

I am a few days behind in this, but I don't feel I can move forward without joining the chorus of voices that are giving thanks for the life of Elisabeth Elliot.  I can hardly imagine her welcome into heaven this week.

If I had to make a list of authors who have significantly impacted my life and mind, her name would undoubtedly be at the top of the list.  She has mentored me through her writing for almost twenty years now.  I still quote her with great frequency. Not to be overly dramatic, but truly, I think my life would look very different apart from her influence.  Some of my most pivotal life choices were deeply impacted by her writing.  Her legacy in me is obedience to Christ apart from feeling.  And friends, it is a good, good legacy.

Ironically enough, I would suggest that her insistence that obedience is far more important than personal happiness has been the medium, in my own personal life, for hard choices that led into my very happiest of seasons.  She was a filled vessel, used for good purposes. I owe her a debt of gratitude.

John Piper wrote a very fine tribute to her here.  His eloquence reads better than mine.

We will feast together one day.

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of one of his saints.  




No comments: