Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Wheatberry Salad

I was at a friend's house last week around lunch time. She offered a salad I might not have tried otherwise. It was an unexpected hit. Last night, I made it for hubs and he told me to add it to his list of favorites. Definitely a repeat in our house!  We are always in search of hearty cold dishes here, especially in the hot season. I added a loaf of homemade bread with honey, topped the salad with chicken and it was a spectacular combo. Even if you glance past the salad recipe, the Honey Mustard vinaigrette is a keeper!   Trust me on this one, and give it a whirl this summer! 


Wheatberry Salad Prep
 (Serves 4) 

Toast 2 cups wheat in a dry skillet for 4-5 minutes. Soak for one hour. Drain.  Add 4 cups of water and cook in rice cooker (I assume you could probably use a crock pot for about 4-5 hours and get the same results.) Chill. Chop 3-4 red, yellow and/or green bell peppers. Peel and cube 2-3 cucumbers and carrots. Seed and slice 3-4 tomatoes. Toss ingredients together and chill. Add cold shredded chicken to make it a hearty entree. Serve with Honey Mustard vinaigrette. 

Honey Mustard Vinaigrette

Mix 1/2 c olive oil, 1/3 c apple cider vinegar, 2 T Dijon mustard, 2 cloves minced garlic, 1/4 c honey. Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Enjoy!!! 

 



No comments: