Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Food, lately

I've been more adventurous since we returned from the States. Somehow tasting all those American dishes again gave me a little more confidence that I can re-create more of it here than I do. So, I'm learning more about spices and creams and garlic.  It's fun.  I'm not sure why I enjoy cooking so much more here, but I do.  I think it's because I feel incompetent at so many other things within a foreign culture.  At least in the kitchen, I have a little freedom.


The boys were in love with the Chick-fil-a grilled chicken nuggets.  This certainly isn't the same, but it's definitely a favorite for us on this side.  Here's the recipe from over at Allrecipes.com.

Krystal's Perfect Marinade

1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c balsamic vinegar
1/2 c soy sauce
1/4 c olive oil
2 T worchester sauce
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 t pepper

(Note: The original also includes 2 T sesame oil but I don't have access to that and it is still fantastic)

So I'm all about rolling food into another meal these days.  e.g. If I make beans for Mexican, the next night, we're probably having veg burgers.  Here's the roll for this marinaded chicken:


Chop a few tomatoes, marinade in garlic and balsamic, then grill for 20 minutes.  Make a garlic cream sauce using real cream, butter and some saut√©ed garlic.  Then add in the leftover chicken and tomatoes, pour on top of pasta. Wah-lah.  Friends, it's almost as good as Pasta Milano at Olive Garden.

On the ethnic food front, I thought I didn't miss the food here. But I did.  Breakfast in particular.  I found a little spot near our house that will serve me up a pretty plate of poori and some coconut and peanut chutney for a grand total of 60cents. It's possible that this is the best breakfast in the world for that price.  Seriously. 


Last week I went to a party for a friend from another region. They are known for their varied meals, served on banana leaves.  It was delicious. (Ok, most of it. Even after 4 years, I cannot stomach raw mango chutney. I just can't.)


There you have it: our food lately.  Eat up!

No comments: