Saturday, October 3, 2015

as shoes for your feet



It's festival season in these parts. That means we're averaging one day out of school per week.  There are a lot of festivals.  I've been trying to prepare a bit for these days so that I can fill in some of the gaps in the boys' "spiritual" training.  Today we talked about The Armor found in Ephesians 6.  


To my wanna-be-warriors this is an exciting topic. We made paper shields and I threw "flaming darts" at them.  (Streamers taped on balls...we try not to throw flames in here unless we have to.) We did the old lemon juice on paper trick last week to help illustrate the reality of the unseen world.


As I was going through the passage last night in preparation, the shoes caught my heart. It says "and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the good news of peace."

I've been watching the news about the advancement of some dark forces into regions not that far away. Places where brothers and sisters in faith are under a threat so certain that every day they must feel they could be walking to their grave. It's stirring in me good questions. Drawing out natural fears in me. And reminding me that the Father gives grace to stand firm in situations where renouncing the name we bear is the only way out, apart from death itself.

These are not stories in a book of one of my heroes.  This is a drama playing out right now, in this world we live in. It will be at our doors sooner or later, or at the very least at our children's doors.

That kind of readiness can only be given by the good news of peace.  Those shoes can go anywhere and stand before anyone. Those shoes don't just offer peace to the places where we walk, the peace is there for the one walking.  The readiness of peace, promises that we bank on, an unseen world that we put confidence in - even if the world crashes in around us tomorrow. Which, quite frankly, seems rather likely of late.

He has given us everything we need.  Even these shoes for our feet. 

Maranatha. 

No comments: