Saturday, November 28, 2015

gathering together



I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

It's one of my favorite holidays. I keep looking at pictures from last year, when we had just arrived in the US.  This year was bound to be a little harder after that. It's just not that fun to be away from family during the holidays.  So the boys and I spent time talking about what we are thankful for, and what is all around us that reminds us of the mercies of God. That conversation could go on forever. This common grace we are under is breathtaking. On Thursday morning I took apple crumble to their classes and made a turkey craft, then I packed them off to school til our 5pm meal.  (One of the beauties of living abroad is…they don't know they aren't supposed to go!)

We celebrated with a few friends in the city. Our usual crew is a bit smaller than it has been with a lot of folks in and out lately.  So this year, I was in charge of the main cooking.  Desserts and potatoes supplied. Whew.  This is the first full holiday meal I've really done for a group and I have to admit….I had a lot of fun! I was tired afterwards. Really, really tired. But it was totally worth the work.  I felt so "grown up." I even had the oven timings posted on my fridge so I could roll it out smoothly.  (Remember I actually cook in an alternate microwave:) My aunts may or may not still treat my like I'm 12 and shoo me from my Mamaw's kitchen when we are together.  So my real-time cooking experience on holidays is a little limited.  They would have been proud though!

Definitely a success. At least to the adults.  Jude told me he'd just like a chapati, please.  So he had his little Third Culture Kid Thanksgiving meal, and I had mine.









And now…we're rolling out that Christmas decor and turning up the Tender Tennessee Christmas music in here. 


Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good. 

No comments: