Friday, November 13, 2015

on tomorrow

We are in a unique season.  There are some changes on our horizon that could be life altering.  My world in three months might be vastly different than my world today. This isn't just philosophical speculation for me these days.  It's reality.

But beyond that brief glimpse, the door closes.

I know very little more than that life most likely will be vastly different.

The curtains are drawn and I am standing in the same house, with the same children and the same routine.

Waiting has never been my favorite thing.  If you'll recall, I'm not exactly the type to wait until the baby is born to find out if it's a boy or girl.  I like to be in the know. I've been known to open presents early. Because I'd rather not wait.  Sometimes (this is a big confession), I read the last chapter of a book while I'm only mid-way.  I just can't handle the suspense.

This season is a season to wait though.  It's out of my hands.  The decisions aren't mine just yet. There's nothing to do but wait. I can't peek ahead to the next chapter. It's not been written for my eyes yet. And I have all the grace I need….for today.

My boys have been a particularly helpful analogy for me in this.

They are blissfully unaware that change is in the air.  They are doing exactly what children should be doing.  They're living in each day with the gifts and joys it brings.  Their troubles have nothing to do with tomorrow, only this present moment.  The only thing keeping Jude up at night is the adventures of Frog & Toad by his flashlight.

We've kept any talk of tomorrow out of their ears.

Not because they couldn't handle it, necessarily. But because they don't need to know.  From the eyes of a loving parent, it wouldn't be in their best interest. When there are details they need to know, we'll tell them.

And my Father keeps reminding me that He is a much wiser parent than me. When He draws the curtains on knowledge, it is for good purposes.  He is trustworthy and faithful.

When the time is right, He'll draw back the curtain for my eyes.  He is not bound by the time continuum.  He is already present in tomorrow.  He is already at work in the day I do not yet know.

Each day has enough trouble of its own.





3 comments:

Kelly Brasher said...

Oh, sweet Laura...I am so sorry you are in this time of wondering. It is very against your grain, I know. I can only speculate on what the issue is, so I won't. I will, because you have done the same for me, talk to my Daddy about you. He has already provided for the future you are wondering about, already worked out the details that are meandering through your head. We love you so much, and will be interceding on your behalf as long as you need us.

Justin and Bonnie said...

We are praying for your family as you walk through this difficult season. "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

Anonymous said...

Wow. What a great analogy!! So sorry to hear there are difficult decisions and changes on the horizon. I too always want to know what the future holds. Will be praying for you all in the days to come. Kari E.