Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Quiet

I've been listening to a new podcast lately called Quiet: The Power of Introverts with Susan Cain.  I want to recommend it to you. If you're an extrovert, particularly if you have quiet children in your life, I think you'll find it truly enlightening and helpful. If you made it through childhood as an introvert, you might just listen to that first episode, The Long Runway, like I did…with tears on your face.

That analogy of a "long runway" put into words what I've experienced in so many ways with my own little introvert.  Remember those blog posts long ago from the preschool sports days gone awry? The times when every other kid was dancing for the parents, and little Jude was sitting with his back to the audience and his arms crossed. Sometimes it's easy for me to forget those moments.  This is, thankfully, because Jude is in a school now that has helped him celebrate the "long runway" and given him space to grow into his own personality.  I see him flourishing in such healthy, beautiful ways. We have a huge school production coming up in a few weeks and he is completely excited. I am so thankful.

It's also helped me think about my little extrovert, the one who loves to be in the middle of the party.  The other day at the playground, Jude was reading while everyone else was running wild all around him. He played for 5 minutes, and then went back to his book. Silas was, of course,  in the middle of the party with a big posse in the sand pit.  The crowd dispersed for a few minutes and Silas came to sit down next to me.  He told me he was lonely and needed some friends.  I pointed to the two children still playing in the sand.  He turned his sweet face toward me, "Mom, I need at least FOUR friends to be happy." Yes. He did say that.  And while I doubt I'll ever really understand that….it's so helpful for me to know that it's a fantastic part of his personality. He just loves a party.

Listen up.  I think you'll like it. 

1 comment:

Kelly Brasher said...

I guess you got you quiet, introverted spirit from your cousin Kelly, right? I am raising two of them right now and have a terrible time trying to understand how their hearts and minds work. Maybe I will have a 'Quiet' time soon... Love you!