Monday, March 28, 2016

the death of honor

Yesterday morning, while you were singing about the risen King, it was night on this side.  The services were done, and the day was almost over. As music poured out of the churches we love in our homeland, our brothers and sisters were being bombed in L+hore. They were targeted in a children's park as they went out with their families to celebrate a day remembering the resurrection of Christ.  My sleep was restless last night and I woke up with tears in my eyes for the fathers and mothers whose arms are empty today.

These bombings feel like the death of honor to me.

A world where men fight their battles by killing children and shooting nails into airport crowds. Mothers with infants and fathers chasing toddlers, elderly men and women sipping coffee.  I cannot, I cannot fathom such cowardice. The injustice of it swells up in me and I find myself fighting back both rage and hopelessness.

This is the world I'm raising my boys to meet.

And yet.  We are not without hope.  There is no day that is a more powerful reminder of that hope than Resurrection Sunday.  When we remember that death, through a Savior who overcame even hell itself, has lost its sting. The grave will not have the final victory.  There is weeping here.  There are tears now. But we are not without hope.  It is a hope so final that one day even bombs and cowards will be reckoned by righteous, complete justice. The ache of this world will be lost in the fullness of Jesus, the Messiah who came to save us.

In the meantime, I've started praying for something new, something that I find surprising even to myself. I wish you would join me.

We hear stories sometimes on this side of dreams and visions of Jesus.  He is alive even now and able to speak into the hearts of men so dark, so wicked, so broken that honor is killing.  Would you start now to pray with me that these dreams and visions would haunt men who seem far from redemption? That echoes of light would line the darkness of their world?  I am asking for them to be undone by light.  Grace is more powerful than the force of terror.  In the end, love will conquer hate.  Light will wash away the darkness.

Christ is risen.

He is risen indeed.


2 comments:

Kelly Brasher said...

Praying with you, sweet girl. Love you so very much...

Cassie said...

Thank you, Laura. Yes, I will be praying with you.