Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Tuesday Tidbits





1. Yesterday was the dreaded driving "teoretica" exam.  Thirty tricky questions about random driving laws. I felt about as nervous as I did when I took the ACT at seventeen.  Thankfully, they posted the results last night.

 I passed.

This is good, good news.

2. The bad, bad news is that Phase II of Operation: Get My License is the practical driving test.  Thirty minutes driving through city streets in the car with a grader.  They'll fail you for crossing a tiny bit over a solid white line into the bus lane.

You have two minutes to parallel park wherever they ask you.  I cannot parallel park.  I blame this on my poor depth perception. It's a real problem, folks.  Heretofore, I have parked using my six-year-old as an out-of-car guide.

However, he is not allowed to come with my for the driving exam.

Once, Jude and I worked on a spot for around eight minutes.  Scoff if you will. I do have persistence on my side.


3.  Spring has sprung.  It is beautiful. We hiked on Saturday and the earth and sky are just stunning at this time of year.  


I am having heat-anxiety though.  It is not hot now.  It's very pleasant.  In fact, for six months, it's been pretty pleasant.  But summer is coming and I don't know what to expect.  I tend to do this in new environments.  I keep thinking about the no air conditioning factor.  I had air conditioning in India.  It was still 110 degrees in my kitchen every day of the summer, but at least if I started to melt, I could go to the bedroom and turn on that little unit. 

Here, that sea breeze rushing through my windows is supposed to be my A/C.  The people who actually have air-con say it's too expensive to run it anyways.  Ihave my doubts as to the sufficiency of this method though.  Come July, I suppose we'll find out. 



4. Hubs has his first out-of-town meeting this week and I'll be flying solo a few days with the boys. I'm sure McDonald's will see us soon!!!

Happy Tuesday to you. 

1 comment:

Joanna said...

Ohhh it sounds like the Spanish driving license requirements were designed by the same authors as the German ones! I'm dreading it...so terrified of the practical portion. I have already had 2 run ins with my bumpers here - thankfully not into another car, bike or person! just a building and a pole (both while parking), but I'm petrified that I'll end up being sued or in jail over something I hit during my driving test!

We also don't have air-conditioning, and although we're further north, there are still some pretty hot months. Germans are vehemently opposed to air conditioning - it causes allergies, sickness, fresh air is good for you, etc. If it gets to the point where we can't sleep, though, I plan to get a small portable unit for the bedroom. However, usage will be limited to hopefully not blow our electricity bill sky high...which only gets billed once a year.