Friday, July 7, 2017

a friend

You may or may not remember that season I had in our South Asian life when loneliness was a word I thought about every day.  I was knee deep in language learning and motherhood was breaking me in hard. I spent a lot of time in that year praying for deep friendships, and making efforts to seek them out.  I needed community and I knew it. 

One Saturday morning, we went to a hotel in the city for an ex-pat brunch. In all our time overseas, I've only been to such events a few times.  I went that morning a bit out of desperation to find new friendships.  I'd heard it was a good place to meet people. I met a girl who'd recently moved to the city for her husband's job in the tech industry of our city.  We chatted for a bit. 

Later that week, I sent her a quick message asking if she'd want to meet up for a playdate. We did.  

From that simple start,  we had playdates almost every Monday until she moved back to the US. This sister and I have shed plenty of momma tears together and told plenty of culture stress stories over tea and cookies.  I can't tell you how much I looked forward to those afternoons of same-culture/same-age boys.  It was one of the many ways that I saw God answer those tearful prayers for community.  


The details are fuzzy, but it was somewhere around 5 years ago now.  We've both long since left those  dusty, bumpy roads we first traveled to get to one another's houses. This week, Sara and her family have been vacationing in Barcelona.  The boys haven't seen each other in several years.  But they just picked up where we left off.  It's been so sweet to watch. 

And as for the mommas, the seasons are different, but there's still plenty to shed tears and laughter over...this time we are just doing it over gelato. 

Here are a few pictures of the fun. 

Love you, Sara.  You were (and are) an answer to prayer.  









1 comment:

Belva said...

This is awesome! I love how God cares about us--and meets our deepest needs.